It started with a bang and then the city pretty much just kept on celebrating.
The smoke from the last Hogmanay fireworks hardly had time to clear from our cold winter skies before Edinburgh launched into what would go on to feel like a year long celebration.
In the last 12 months we've broken world records, rediscovered that fine old tradition of the 'street party' and brought home our sporting champions in true Olympic style.
We've welcomed the stars of Hollywood to our cobbled pathways and put on more food, film and book festivals than we can feasibly count.
And now, as we get set to mark both an end and a new beginning on the streets of Auld Reekie, we can take a proper look back at the top local highlights from the city this year.
- Watch live: Edinburgh's Hogmanay fireworks display welcomes 2013
- A look back at the stories that gripped Glasgow during the course of 2012.
- Scotland's sports stars look back at 2012 and on to 2013: Day one
- Ring in the Bells with tradition at the Tron Kirk's Hogmanay
- Andy Murray and Ewan McGregor among Scots on New Year Honours list
- Hogmanay street party and torchlight procession street closures mapped
- Fireball ceremony looks for volunteers to help marshal Hogmanay event